Remember the time when you were browsing through a website and suddenly saw an ad for an online homework help service? Well, don’t think that it occurred out of the blue. It popped up because the AI knew you had visited the website a few minutes ago.
The world is getting more and more advanced, and each change has both positive and negative impacts on society. AI stands for Artificial Intelligence, and it is undoubtedly making work easy. But it has its negative side too.
Let’s discuss how AI is affecting society.
- Increases productivity level – The desire to increase productivity is shared by many enterprises.
According to a study by Accenture, artificial intelligence has the potential to boost profitability by an average of 38% and productivity by 40%.
As more duties are delegated to employees, they have more time to concentrate on the important things.
Not to mention, they may give their all to the projects they enjoy and are proud of.
- Spare humans from risks – Many times, performing a task requires putting one’s life in danger. Fortunately, we can now use AI robots to perform dangerous tasks for humans, overcoming risky constraints.
Jobs range from those requiring astronauts to travel to outer space to those requiring them to explore the deepest reaches of the oceans or even labour in mining caves.
- Reduction in human errors – Everyone makes mistakes in life at some point. Computers don’t, though, at least not when they’re properly programmed.
After gathering sufficient information from a certain set of algorithms, artificial intelligence machines make a judgement.
In light of this, it may be claimed that there are fewer errors and a higher likelihood of accuracy and precision.
- Unemployment – One of society’s biggest worries is that as artificial intelligence develops, many vocations that are defined by a certain amount of regularity will be mechanised.
More people will have to find new employment as more jobs are mechanised. Although some people could perceive it as a drawback of AI, it isn’t.
As more mundane tasks are mechanised, more complicated, strategic, and administrative roles will become available for employment.
Conversational AI may help businesses save time and money when providing customer service.
While many people think AI will increase unemployment, others think technology will help us with boring, repetitive occupations.
We spend a portion of our day doing monotonous things that somehow rob us of time we could be using for something more essential. People are looking forward to the time when AI will take over since they want to focus on being creative but can’t find the time because tasks of this sort need to be finished.
- The future of privacy – With its contributions to numerous facets of human lives, AI has accomplished miracles. Owing to a large amount of information, it continuously collects and analyses at the highest possible speeds, scales, and automation.
But from where does all of this knowledge come? One of the ethical questions is brought up there.
Numerous everyday electronic items, including smart home appliances and phones, include capabilities that make them susceptible to AI data exploitation.
Many individuals aren’t even aware of how much data their devices produce and exchange, which makes them more vulnerable to exploitation.
The ability to identify, track, and monitor people in real-time is another challenge brought on by AI technology.
This implies that users won’t be able to use their gadgets in privacy and that all of their movements will be monitored.
- Humans are becoming lazy – It seems that people have a tendency to become a little lazy if they become used to doing less.
In fact, people have grown accustomed to relying on AI for practically everything and find it difficult to envisage a world without these modern conveniences.
People are becoming addicted to these kinds of inventions due to the automation of many procedures and applications, which could be a problem for future generations.
- Personalised shopping – How does Amazon know that you were just considering buying those white Nike sneakers? Online retailers frequently utilise AI technology to generate personalised suggestions for customers.
Sites collect information about your browsing habits, preferences, and interests. They also monitor your behaviour on other businesses’ websites and mobile apps.
With AI, businesses can more intelligently and effectively comb through petabytes of data to forecast customer behaviour and provide pertinent and practical advice to specific customers.
- Digital voice assistants – Most smartphones come with digital voice assistance, a feature that people occasionally utilise.
In addition to allowing voice synthesis information retrieval, they also allow the user to search via spoken commands.
The radio can be turned on and off, train tickets can be ordered, and messages can be sent to loved ones using distinct digital voice assistants, which are found in quite a few first-world homes.
But using them is not at all safe. According to certain accounts, digital voice assistants have been known to secretly record private conversations and transmit the recordings to a random number in the address book.
- Streaming apps – Many of us use streaming services like Netflix at the end of the day when we want to relax. The company’s recommendation engine combines artificial intelligence and your watching history to make suggestions for potential new content for you to watch (including genres, actors, time periods, and more).
Its tool allows you to be as exact as to what time of day you are watching and what you typically enjoy doing at that time.
The suggestion systems may put you at risk by, for example, disclosing your political or sexual inclinations to those who glance at your screen, which in addition to making you less experimental, could be embarrassing.
These can be considered as all the ways due to which society is getting affected due to AI. They are making lives easy, but through AI, people now can easily be able to know about your preferences and how you think which eventually affects your privacy.
Charley Reiley is an online essay writer. He is associated with MyAssignmenthelp.com and provides thesis help services to students globally. Mr Halpert has interests in cooking and films.