LoadRunner is a popular software testing tool by OpenText that is used to test various applications and measure system behaviors and performance under load. This tool can simulate multiple users concurrently using the application, recording and analyzing the performance of the critical components of the application under load. LoadRunner generates messages between the application components by simulating interactions with various UIs like mouse movements or pressing the keys. This Performance Testing Tool supports multiple development technologies, tools, and communication protocols. Today, LoadRunner has emerged as the pioneer in performance testing operations, with its test results used as a benchmark. LoadRunner has about 85% market share, making this the most prominent performance-testing solution for enterprises. Companies hugely demand LoadRunner experts for various testing operations. One can take up LoadRunner Online Training to learn more about this platform and develop the essential testing skills using LoadRunner.
Components Of LoadRunner
LoadRunner has a complex architecture that is easy to understand. The tool consists of five components. Let us look at each of the LoadRunner components in greater detail.
Virtual User Generator (VuGen)
The VuGen component of LoadRunner is used for generating and editing scripts. It has a recording feature that records the communication between clients and servers in the form of a VUser script. Additionally, VuGen replicates the SUL (System Under Load) behavior.
The Controller is one of the main components of LoadRunner that controls the Load simulation by managing how many VUsers to simulate against each business process or VUser Group. This component manages the behavior of VUsers, the nature of the Load scenario, error and transaction reporting, etc. Additionally, the LoadRunner Controller determines which injectors to use and the number of VUsers against each injector and manages IP Spoofing.
Load Generators Or Injectors
All VUsers in LoadRunner are spread across various machines, called Load Generators or Load Injectors, to prevent the VUsers from putting a limit on the machine which is simulating them. Numerous Load Injectors can be used based on the protocol of the VUser scripts and machine specifications.
The Agent Process in LoadRunner manages the connection between Controller and Load Generator instances in the platform.
The Analysis component of LoadRunner is used after all the Load scenarios have been executed. The Analysis component reads database files to perform various analyses and generate graphs. These databases contain various errors and exceptions. The graphs generated by the Analysis component show various trends to understand the reasoning behind the errors and failure under load. This helps the users to identify whether the optimization is required in the SUL, Server, or infrastructure.
Performance Testing With LoadRunner
One of the significant functions of LoadRunner is Performance Testing. The tool uses six steps to conduct its Performance Testing operations. Let us look at these six steps.
- Planning For The Load Test: This is the first step that involves defining the goals, analyzing the system, and gathering usage data. Additionally, panning involves assembling the teams, preparing an outline of the applications, defining the test data management procedures, and outlining the monitors.
- Creating VuGen Scripts: This is the second step in Performance Testing that involves recording and enhancing the scripts and adding the Test Data.
- Scenario Creation: The third step of Performance Testing is Scenario Creation. This step involved creating scenarios, goals, and SLAs.
- Scenario Execution: The fourth step of Performance Testing involves the execution of the scenario, where the testers execute the scenario and perform overload testing.
- Results Analysis: This step in Performance Testing involves analyzing the data received from the testing operation.
- Tweaking And Optimization: The last step of Performance Testing involves tuning the systems, changing configurations, tweaking, and optimizing the codes.
Advantages Of LoadRunner
LoadRunner is one of the best Performance Testing tools that is widely used all over the world. It has a simple and interactive user interface and eliminates the need for manual testing. Let us look at the various benefits of LoadRunner that make this platform so popular among users.
- Various systems, end-users, and code-level bottlenecks are accurately identified on the LoadRunner platform.
- This Performance Testing tool determines the source of app performance issues and reduces the expense of application downtime caused by various performance issues.
- LoadRunner allows the use of new technologies to test the performance of the existing legacy applications. Additionally, it supports mobile application testing.
- LoadRunner makes it possible to reduce software and hardware expenses.
- This tool allows the software teams to create intelligent service-level agreements, allowing faster application delivery.
- LoadRunner enables one to keep track of how the tools are being used. Moreover, it allows access to various global test materials using the web browser.
To sum up, LoadRunner is an excellent tool for Performance Testing operations by companies. This tool has five components: Virtual User Generator (VuGen), Controller, Load Generators or Load Injectors, Agent Process, and Analysis. The LoadRunner tool can simulate multiple users concurrently using the application, recording and analyzing the performance of the key components of the application under load. Today, LoadRunner is the biggest testing application, and its test results are used as the benchmark in the industry. LoadRunner has the largest market, and various companies highly demand LoadRunner professionals in their teams. Aspiring IT professionals can join the LoadRunner Training Institute in Noida, as these institutes offer excellent training courses that can help one improve their skills significantly. Furthermore, a training course in LoadRunner is highly beneficial for aspiring IT professionals and helps them get hired by companies faster.